Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Oh No! Kato!

I'm kind of sensing a theme to my blog...a lot of cat stories and children stories and rants about stupid people. Hmm.. perhaps I should try to diversify. Not just yet though.

So the house down the street is being forclosed. The family is selling their things and preparing to move out. And they have a cat. He is SUPER sweet. Has been since day one. Kato the cat. He roams the neighborhood, is clean and friendly and I think he's great. In talking with my in the know neighbor today I found out - the family is leaving WITHOUT the cat. They're just going to pack up and drive away. Like poor Mittens in Bolt. It's heinous. However - I don't know what to do about it! To me it's morally reprehensible to leave this animal that you rescued, or purchased or agreed to take home and feed and love.

The recently widowed woman next door to the family has been feeding Kato and enjoying his company. I think she even took him to the vet for some reason or another - but apparently does not want him as 'her cat'.

I'm sure he would be fed in the neighborhood, but I'm envisioning cold and snowy, wet nights with poor Kato cowering in a storm drain or being chased by racoons. No one to give him pets and let him sleep on their bed.

I can't volunteer for this job because we just got another cat. And if it were okay to just abandon a cat - Dexter is first up. But you don't see me with my bloodied legs and puncture wounded arms leaving my ornery cat (who's vet folder is 'RED' tagged as dangerous) on the street corner to fend for himself. No - I let him sleep next to me and I buy him expensive food because the vet said he needs it and I took on the responsiblity of him as my pet.

So I'm fired up! I'm going to see if I contribute to a cat vet/food fund if the neighbor would be willing to take him on. I've already thought up grand plans to build a cat house with insulated walls and a heat lamp for cold and wet winters that she can keep in her car port......

KATO!

No comments:

Post a Comment