Monday, April 5, 2010

BFF - Even from Another State and Especially During An Emergency

I love my BFF. I really do. Because when it comes down to it - she is always there in those tight spots, or those freak out moments of true emergency and of course for the regular ones of self doubt.

I took the girls to Cannon Beach for Spring Break. We went with my friend and her girls. First night there - literally two hours after arriving - my daughter split her chin open at the playground. It was 99% my fault - but that is beside the point, as it doesn't unsplit the chin.

I saw right from the moment of impact (which has constantly been replaying in my head since Wed.) that we would need stitches. I told my friend to run back to the house to get the car. (Which she did with all THREE of the remaining kids in tow!)

Some SUPER great strangers - a Mom and Grandma who were also at the park - offered up their emergency kit - and a jacket to keep little Miss Riley Bear warm as she had gone into shock a bit and complained that she was cold. (Side note however - my daughter ROCKS. She did NOT freak out - barely cried - was a huge champ and I love her to bits.)

So after my friend raced around and arrived with the car - we got everyone buckled in - left the nice strangers to deal with our bloodied wipes and took off for the hospital in the neighboring town 7 miles away. All the while I had been frantically calling my husband - hoping he could give me the actual ADDRESS for the hospital. I called him while kneeling in the bark at the park multiple, multiple times. I tried the house, I stalked the cell phone, where the heck is this self proclaimed home body when I need him?

Plan B. From the car all shaky and ramped up, holding the split of my daughter's chin together with one hand - I dialed the V on my speed dial with the other. My BFF picked up - and as best friends do - was calm, understood IMMEDIATELY from the tone of my voice what was going on - got me the address, told me it would be alright and that she loved me and we hung up. Wham Bam - I love you man. Seriously. I know we don't say it enough in the day to day - but I am so grateful for such a great friend. Even though we don't get enough time together - I would hope that she knows she can call me in the same situation.

Oh and I realized the next day - I had accidentally 'stolen' the windbreaker from the nice strangers?!! I felt horrible! I still feel horrible! I went back to the park, I looked for them everytime we were in town... to no avail... I'll have to find a way to pay it forward I guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment