Friday, May 1, 2009

Real People Who Do Really Nice Things

I was flying back from a work meeting in Dallas yesterday. I had changed my flight to an earlier one, so I had the 2nd to the last seat.... you know, the one where everyone stands with their butt in your face while waiting for the bathroom.

Oh and then there was the 5 year old who walked by on his way to try and make it to the bathroom to throw up, but the bathrooms were full. Sweet. My favorite. Puke in enclosed spaces. My (free!) bloody mary didn't go down so well after that.

BUT as we were settling into our seats, a couple in the row behind me and across the aisle, was buckling in with their 14 month old (under 2, kids can travel on your lap.) They looked kinda wiped out and were hunkering down for the 4 hour flight ahead. Across the row from them there were only two folks in the three seat row. A man and a woman who were not traveling together.

Totally unprompted, the man asks the couple if they'd like to trade and take the 3 seater so they could stretch out with their little one. The Mom practically cried and was so thankful. Eavesdropper that I am, I got huge lump in my throat listening to this exchange.

The woman goes on to say that they'd had a 9 hour delay of some kind in Dallas and all kinds of traveling issues. And it was her birthday. And this was the nicest thing that happened to her all day.

Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment