Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dog Poop Etiquette and Other Things That Keep Me Up

Jeff often says that he is boggled by the things I spend time thinking about. I can't help it. I just see stuff and it makes me think and then that takes me to another thought... and yes, I have a hard time sleeping. (Unless it's finale night of a great show and them I'm out early. What gives?)

Driving home the other night with the girls, I see a woman walking her dog in a neighborhood. Her dog stops to take a poop on a very nicely groomed lawn. I'm pretty positive it was not the dog's lawn. Yes, yes, the woman was responsible and had her little plastic sack poised to snatch up the poo after her dog finished (I can't help but wonder, does this make dogs think they are in charge when we follow after them picking up their crap? Okay, just a side note.) But if I were the home owner with the nice lawn, I'd be bugged. It's my lawn and I don't want your dog's poop on my lawn. Regardless as to whether or not you pick it up afterwards.

I personally currently do not have a dog. I like dogs, I grew up with dogs, I'd like to eventually get a dog, but I'm lazy. I don't want to have to do 'dog patrol' in the backyard or redo the hardwoods after they've been tapdanced on by little dog nails, or sweep and vacuum more, or pay more vet bills. I'd rather just host my family's dogs a few times a year instead. But the point is, I like dogs and I get that dogs have to poop.

So then this morning I see the SAME scenario. Different neighborhood, different dog and different owner..but the dog is clearly taking his morning constitutional on someone else's lawn. Yes, diligent owner is waiting to pick it up. But I just don't like this. I don't think this is okay! I don't even let my girls walk on our neighbor's yards in our neighborhood, much less fertilize. It's not your property. It's rude. It makes spots in your lawn.

Am I alone in this? Do I not 'get it' because we've never owned a dog that we had to walk for it to get exercise? Pooping on other people's lawns - not okay in my book.
Phew.. now I can let that one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment