Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Youth is Gone Baby Gone


For whatever reason there's been a big swirl of activity on Facebook among my high school and college friends. I never really got 'addicted' like people say.... until now. All of a sudden I'm going down all kinds of memory lanes. My sorority sisters have been posting some silly pictures of college (hello big hair, big eyebrow, big overalls.....)

It's got me contemplating. Plus the whole it's a 'New Year' thing. I've always been a romantic. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan. I cried last night reading Little House on the Prarie to my daughter (they left Jack the dog crossing the river?) I've recently become horribly addicted to the Twilight series... this feels like mid life crisis in the making. Am I emotionally stuck at age 22?

As I was jamming out to my streaming radio just now while at work I realized how much I love the old school (and new school) r&b stuff. So does that mean I'm going to be one of those really obnoxious Mom's that tries too hard to be cool or young?

Would it be weird that your soccer Mom was blaring Tupac when dropping you off for a sleep over? What if when I'm a Gramma I'm groovin to some Shai - Sex Me Baby while vacuuming the ranch style house in my matching velour sweat suit and big hoop earrings? Is that wrong?

My ring tone is 'Dangerous' by Akon (which my conservative classic rock loving husband thinks is obnoxious). I love it!

I told him I was sad when it dawned on me the other day that I've reached the age that if I wanted to go dancing at a club (okay, not that I could get the time away from kids and life to do that, but if I WANTED to), I would be one of 'those' ladies. You know the ones who are too old to be there but are anyway and are trying WAAAAY too hard. I'm having a flashback to a bar we went to in Atlanta that was known as a dance club for 40 somethings and I thought that was so weird and kind of sad. Oh man.

I know, I know - look at what I do have. Family, children, a job, good friends all good things, I'm not discounting that. I just kind of finally realized I'm reaching middle age and what does that mean really? I guess it is what we want it to be and I'm pretty sure my version includes some music my husband will hate.

Hey kids, better practice that walking WAAAY in front of me on the street pretending we're not related thing....

1 comment: