Monday, September 8, 2008

The 'Mom'fia - It's A Real Thing. Without the Horse Head Of Course.






There are things that happen in my crazy life as a working Mom - attempting to be SuperMom that you just KNOW are happening to other ladies out there. Right?Right??

As my 4 year old daughter begins to navigate a new Pre K -I'm finding all the things that accompany your toddler entering toddler social world I was clearly not prepared for. Seriously. Are there books out there for this kind of thing? (and when would I read it?)

Kate began a new Pre K program at this great school (I think they might spike the coffee hour here - EVERYONE I've spoken to sings the school's praises - so that's a good thing. Right?) I was so worried about her transition from our previous daycare pre school program (with some serious kick arse teachers) to this new school. I thought about her concerns, her stress, what she would choose to wear the first day, will she actually eat lunch that we've packed with her approval.... All those things. I was NOT prepared for the cocktail party without cocktails that is being the 'new parent' in a small private school.

I didn't have the witty commentary, cute outfit, uber 'good morning strangers' confidence - that is necessary for being the new Mom on the block. I was blindsided! I was not prepared! Where was the warning? The syllabus for Moms?

Throw in that I'm a full time working Mom who has to drop her kid off at the crack of dawn before school begins (yes - I'll admit to doing some guilt crying in the car because she was the first kid there all three days) and it's good times all around. Then add in my younger daughter sobbing plaintively from the back seat for 'sissie' as she points to the empty booster seat as I drive her to her own daycare. Hell0 - did NOT see that one coming!

So I've made it through the first 3 days, the 1st of the month coffee hour and the Sunday afternoon back to school pot luck. Not quite sure I can track how many times I stuck my foot in my mouth or came off as the loud mouthed, fast talking Mom who can't be there for story hour twice a week... but I just hope my little peanut of a daughter makes a better showing for our family and they don't hold me against her. I do have to do a huge shout out for the cool Mom Anne - who looks at me the first day and says "You look new - Welcome! I'm Anne!" Bless her. She rocks. I want to be that Mom next year. She has no clue - but she made my day. Oh yeah and um... when I sort of cried a little at the coffee hour (that I snuck out of work to attend) to that other Mom Jen - and she emailed to check up on me. She rocks too.



Here we go.



No comments:

Post a Comment