Thursday, July 7, 2011

Real Life in 5 Second Increments

Today I am taking a moment to stop and be grateful. Grateful that I have to go to the grocery store, buy birthday presents, work, take the girls to swim lessons and make an R2D2 costume.

As I drove the girls to camp this morning, there was an ambulance and fire truck at a house that we pass by daily. I don't know these people. I know that they have a wheel chair ramp and I've seen the wheel chair access van picking up and dropping off over the past few years. I've also seen a home health caretaker coming from and going to work. I have no idea who lives there - but somehow they are a part of my life.

After my grocery run I drove back by that house and the ambulance was gone. In it's place was the funeral home van. A car sat waiting to pull out of the driveway and a woman was wiping tears from her face.

How strange that I'm an accidental party to this life moment for a family I don't even know. Just small 5 second increments of casual observation. I'm sad that some one's life has ended. I think about what this Thursday is to them, versus every other regular Thursday. How their day differs from mine today. So I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment