Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Art and Joy of the Letter

Anyone one in my near radius this past week probably knows that I just got a big box of 'memorabilia' from my parents who recently cleaned out their storage unit. Sorting through all the stuff in there has been fun and crazy - but one thing stands out. We wrote letters!

I have all kinds of letters! Letters from my friends when I was 11, my camp counselor, letters from my high school boyfriend, and my good friend and subsequent pen pal who joined the military shortly after we graduated, tiny notes asking if I could go to the movie, angry notes about why did someone do such and such during 5th period. I love it.

I forgot how much I LOVE a real letter! Love it. I love when you see your name on an envelope in the mailbox, or find a scrap of paper with a little message just for you. The tangible enjoyment of seeing a friend's handwriting cover a page in words - the time taken specifically for you.

So I'm bringing back the art of the letter. I've decided that over the next year I'm going take the time to write a real live letter when those memories or birthdays or whatever it is presents an opportunity.

Ah the joy of a letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment