Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Musings from a Grade School Talent Show

My first year as a parent of grade schooler has brought all kinds of new experiences. Last week was my first 'talent show'. The kindergarteners were not invited to particpate, and I totally get why - no problems here. I thought I'd get away with not going to this event this year, until MY grade schooler begged me to go while we were sitting at the dinner table. I'm a sucker - never wanting to miss anything that might be remotely social and so I agreed.

First off I have to preface this entire blog entry with the acknowledgement that it takes ALOT of guts to get up in front of your peers, their parents, friends, grandparents, etc.. and perform. Much less sing a solo etc.. I was impressed at the range of kids who did this. From 1st Graders to 6th Graders. However, I have some questions.

-If your kid chooses to do a trumpet solo, but hasn't quite mastered the trumpet - do you stand behind them and say 'go for it!' or do you suggest that maybe they try for something else? And when it feels as though said trumpet solo is going on for EVER and is uncomfortable - is the parent proud? Or did they feel like I did - and had to fidget and look away?

-Is Lady Gaga appropriate for 5th Graders? I consider myself far from a prude and not super conservative, but I felt like Mrs. Olsen from Little House on the Prarie muttering 'well I never!' to myself multiple times throught the evening. What are those children wearing? Do they know what the song means? If I'm a parent, am I okay with that? I'm NOT okay with that - and you KNOW that a parent helped them put together those outfits. Granted the moves were approriate, no hip thrusts etc.. but hello! It's Lady Gaga - and she's drunk and lost her keys and her phone......

-Chivalry is not dead. All kinds of parents and people are at these events - and in my neighborhood we're lucky to have a diverse community. I watched a gentleman in front of me, jump out of his chair and pull it up for a woman with a cane who came in late. That was awesome. And sadly is something we don't have enough of. It made my day.

-Chubby little girls who will be super cool when they're 24. As an adult when you watch all these kids act and interact, it's pretty clear who's 'popular' and who isn't so much maybe. There was the young girl who stood up there in her glasses and jeans and shirt and it looked like I might have to get all fidgety and look away, and then she sang. And she was great! With a cool voice and a shy sense of self and you could look into the future and see how happy she'll be when she is out of high school...

- Oh and lastly - huge 'shout out' to the 5th or 6th grade kid who did a very awesome dance - all by himself. In traditional Indian attire to a very cool beat. The Dad sitting next to me and I both had to give each other the 'wow -that's great -eyes'. To be a fly on the wall at his house. Does he have a Mom and Aunts and Grandmas or maybe a Dad who taught him all those great moves? Did he practice all the time? It made me think of the tune my 3 y.o. has been singing mercilessly while shaking her tush in my face, "I like to move it, move it.."

No comments:

Post a Comment