Monday, January 31, 2011

Natural Consequences Parenting


I have to be upfront and say I've never actually read a book or gone to one of those classes on natural consequences parenting. I just pretend I know what I'm doing.

This morning when my 4 y.o. wanted to take one of her prized sleep companions to school with her for nap time, I suggested that she not. Because I knew she would want that stupid pink fluffy bunny at bedtime and cry about it when it wasn't there. When she persisted and said she'd be okay with it, I agreed. Plus it's my husband's turn to put her to bed tonight. But really I thought it would be a perfect lesson in 'natural consequences'.

When we rolled home from school this afternoon, little Miss decided she was wanting all of her pink fluffy friends. When she asked for the bunny in question, I reminded her that she took it to school this week for nap. Of course then hysterics ensued. Lots of crying and whining. (It's not even bed time!) Yeah, she might be getting a lesson, but I have to put up with the nonsense and noise. I might develop my own style of parenting called "Mommy will be right, so lets just skip ahead 4 steps." I wonder if I could get a book deal..

No comments:

Post a Comment